Sunday, October 30, 2005

Cherokee Tribe - Downing Family

Joel Mayes Downing was my grandmother's dad, her mom was Betsy Sunday. I don't know if that is supposed to be part of that info I can see. My Grandmother's name was Mabel Louise Downing, 7/8 cherokee, and she had many brothers and sisters, although I don't know any of their names. She married James Henry DeMoss, and that is where I am stuck. Rumor has it, that James Henry DeMoss had indian blood, but he never admitted to it. Much like admitting you're part black in the south in the first part of the 20th Century. Harold Gene DeMoss, my dad was their only child. My name is Deborah Ann DeMoss and can only prove 7/32nds of Indian blood because of James. Can you point me in the right direction? - Debbie

1 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Barbara Heath said...

I have a James Henry DeMoss in the family line I have been researching. He was born 1849 or 50 in Ouchita Parish, Louisiana. Died 1879 in Freestone County, Texas. Let me know if these dates match with your grandmothers husband. Would be glad to trade info with you, but as far as any Indian Roll #, I've come up against a blank wall, also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home